Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Funny Bone Cake

Of all the store bought snack cakes there are out there,there is only one I just can not resist and walk on by and that is Drake's Funny Bones. They are a chocolate peanut butter filled cake that is dipped in chocolate and not available in all stores. Well recently I decided to try and make a copycat version but then I thought no way could I do that without it being a really messy ordeal. So..... drum roll please.... I invented a cake that I think came out tasting exactly the same with a lot less work :) The first time I made it I got a little over zealous with the chocolate topping and made too much but after I made it much thinner it came out great :) I made a very moist easy homemade chocolate cake off the Hershey's cocoa can but if you want to use a mix or a favorite recipe go for it.
You will need;

One prepared ,baked and cooled chocolate cake in a 9 by 13 inch pan.
Filling;
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups confectionary sugar
7 tbls. whole milk
Topping;
2 cups melted semi-sweet morsels
3 Tbls. crisco shortning
1 tsp milk
Beat the first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl until
very creamy.Spread this over the cake.
Next melt the morsels and crisco in a microwave
bowl or double boiler stirring in between until pourable.
Add 1 tsp milk.
pour over the peanut butter layer spreading to the edge.
Chill cake for at least 2 hours.

2 comments:

AN ARGUMENT FOR NATURAL HEALING said...

Karen, This sounds scrumptious! I've missed FUNNY BONES, since I left New Jersey, in the late 60's & never has there been a good substitute. I no longer *do sweets* but, I'm going to try your FUNNY BONE CAKE recipe for my birthday. Thanks, Teresa/AN ARGUMENT FOR NATURAL HEALING on blogspot.com.

Karen said...

Hi Teresa. I just saw your comment.I try to make it on special occasions too so I have to share it. Happy Birthday and I hope you enjoy this :)