Friday, June 18, 2010

Bakery Style Maple Cookies

One of my favorite memories when I was a small child was living near by to a wonderful bakery that my sisters would take me to that made those large maple frosted cookies. And every diner in town would have a canister sitting there full of them. They were heavenly. Long story short a relative had gotten the recipe from a friend and she gave it to me. I tweaked it a bit to simulate what my memory remembered them to taste like. And she didn't give me exact amounts of frosting ingredients so I improvised there. I like to swirl the warm frosting in the middle of the warm cookies so the frosting spreads a bit and look glossy like the bakery type do. I know they are a little harder to make because they are a roll out but I think they are worth the effort if you fancy maple cookies and like a challenge like we do:) A wide mouth jar makes a great cutter by the way unless you have a big one. My daughter has done them in a leaf shape as well for special occasions. Please read the recipe all the way through first for the directions and feel free to ask questions. Hope this takes some of you back to your yester-years too and... Don't forget to share :)

Ingredients;
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 extra lg. eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 cup butter
2 tsp maple flavoring
5 cups flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Cream sugars, butter and maple flavoring.
Beat in eggs, and sour cream.
Add all the dry ingredients to this well
and roll out 1/2 inch thick
on a lightly floured board and cut
in large round circles.
Bake for 10 Min's in 400 oven.

Frost warm with maple frosting.

To make the frosting warm in a pan;
1/2 stick butter
2 tbls. milk
1 to 2 tsp. maple flavoring
Beat in 2 cups or more confectionery sugar with mixer
to make a thin frosting and turn off heat leaving
pan on the stove to stay warm.
Frost the cookies right away to give them that
glossy smooth frosted appearance if you desire.
Frosting will become firmer as it sets up
and cools so make sure it's able to hold
it's shape but not real thick when you put it on.
It can be rewarmed and thinned if necessary.

No comments: